Table of Contents
For those who love to make pizza, the pizza stone is one of the most important tools to make pizza at home. A pizza stone will help in making the crust of the pizza very tasty and crispy as well. The pizza stone is made of stone, ceramic, or clay and it is available in many different sizes. They are usually available in a circular shape and will have to be placed in the oven for baking the right pizza. These stones distribute heat evenly and hence the total moisture in the pizza dough will be evaporated. That makes you a perfect and crispy pizza. If you are not sure whether pizza stone is the proper tool for you, you can read the comparison between pizza pan and pizza stone.
So, are you planning to make pizza for the first time? Then you must be confused about how to use a pizza stone properly for the first time. For all those using who are using a pizza stone for the first, here is a step by step guide about how to use it, how to season it and how to clean it in the right way.
How to use a pizza stone?
It is not really a tough job to use a pizza stone at home to make your own pizza. All you need to do is just follow the below steps and you can do it without any trouble.
- You should first place the pizza stone on the last rack of the pizza oven.
- You don’t need any grease or oil on the pizza rock when placing in the oven.
- You need to pre-heat the oven at 500 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Now you can start making the pizza with the pizza dough and add all the toppings to the pizza.
- You should now take the pizza from the worktop with the help of the pizza peel. Make sure you are dusting the pizza peel before you lift the pizza from the worktop.
- Make sure that the dough is at room temperature and not cool. If the down is cool, then that can crack the pizza stone as it is already heated up for 30 minutes at 500 degrees F.
- You should now let the pizza bake according to the time span required for it.
- Once the pizza is baked, you can remove the pizza with the help of the pizza peel.
- Always make sure that you are removing just the pizza and not the pizza stone from the pizza oven.
- You should let the pizza stone to cool down in the pizza oven. It can be hard for you to touch it or remove it as soon as the pizza is done. It can be really hot.
Simple steps to clean the pizza stone
As you are using the pizza stone for the first time, you should know that you are not done using the pizza stone in the right way until you know how to clean it. Yes, many people do not worry about cleaning the pizza stone immediately and that can affect your next pizza. So, here is how to clean the pizza stone.
- If you do not want your fingers also to become crispy, just like the pizza crust, then you will have to leave the pizza stone to cool down for at least a few hours. It is also good if you can leave overnight.
- Now with the help of a small metal spatula, you can scrape off all the extra remnants of the pizza that you made earlier. You need to do it in a very gentle way, else you will be damaging the pizza stone.
- Any crumbs on the pizza stone should be cleaned or wiped off with the help of a soft towel. You can even use water for the cleaning if you think that pizza stone is too dry. You need not have to worry about the water on the pizza stone as you are going to heat the pizza stone before you make the next pizza.
Here is how to season your pizza stone
Seasoning your pizza stone is also a very important thing to know for using the pizza stone in the right way for the first time. Some manufacturers do it at the time of making the pizza stone, but if it is not done, then here is how you are doing it.
- With the help of a wet cloth, you need to wipe the pizza stone. That has to be done only with a wet cloth and nothing else, no soap water or any other cleansing agent to be used.
- You should now dry the stone as it gets wet when you clean with a wet cloth. If you want it to be done quickly, then you can do it in an oven as well. But the temperature has to be as low as possible so that the pizza stone does not crack.
- Once it is dry, apply a very little amount of vegetable oil on the stone. That has to be done with a small and soft towel.
- Now heat the stone in the oven at medium heat. This will help the pizza stone to absorb the oil applied to it. This will finish the process of seasoning your pizza stone.
- The color of the stone may become slightly darker when you finish the process of seasoning it. This is very normal and you need not have to worry about the color at all.
So, it is not really a tough job to use the pizza stone, even if you are using it for the first time. You can easily make crispy and yummy pizza for yourself and your family.